Friday, March 15, 2024

No, Not Upton Sinclair. Sinclair Lewis.

A question for my bookish friends: Has anyone out there read anything by Sinclair Lewis?

I ask because I see a lot of lists of the "Great American Novel," and Lewis is rarely on them. I don't understand that. In reading things like "Babbitt," "Main Street," "Arrowsmith," and "It Can't Happen Here," I see an American who really understood in his time what it meant to be an American, and in reading his books today, I can still see a lot of America reflected in his characters and stories.

He's not a dry writer either. There's a lot of action, and humor, and pathos in his writing.

I mean, he won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1930. . .

I"ll bet this photo prompted a lot of people to want to call him Poindexter. I hope he went with a nickhame with more pizzaz.

No comments: