Saturday, June 7, 2008

Windicanes

Here in Idaho, the joke is if the wind quits, all the buildings will fall over.

Then there are days like today. Constant winds gusting to 40 and 50 miles per hour, totally demolishing the greenhouse I made for the tomatoes. Fortunately, the tomatoes have not been planted, otherwise they would all have been crushed. You can tell I'm an American because that's the biggest stresser I've had today. Well, that and the stock market falling nearly 400 points. I'm so tired of watching my tiny investments get even tinier. Reminds me of the old Steve Martin routine: "Yeah, I got ten dollars, I think I'll just throw it out in the street. Oh, I can get in here (Steve's show) for ten dollars? OK."

Went to the post office today and on the way in I ran into an old guy. He asked what I thought of the wind, and even before I could answer, he said "I hate it!" You know it's windy in Idaho when the old guys start complaining about it.

I think it's evidence that Mother Nature officially hates humanity. She's tried shaking us off with earthquakes, drowning us with floods, hurricanes and the like, vacuuming us up with tornadoes, burying us with snow and mudding us to death with torrential spring rains. Not all of that has happened in Idaho of course, We haven't had hurricanes, at least.

On windy days like this, our eight-year-old refers to the wind and "windicanes." I like that.

No comments: