Saturday, October 4, 2008

Facebook

Just a couple of weeks ago, I joined the crowd on Facebook. Now, I've been aware of Facebook for a long time; I'm not an Internet rube. But the utility of the whole thing eluded me (forget the irony that I've been blogging for nearly a year now and that the futility of that enterprise is only of fleeting concern).

But because it seemed like the thing to do at the time (we're out of onions at home, so I don't have any to hang from my belt), I joined up. Immediately found a few friends, ranging from people I'm working with at Uncharted, to people I worked with at the Standard Journal and the Scroll, plus a few random high school friends and associates, including the fellow who's running, I think our 20th reunion coming up in 2010.

Shortly after joining, I was talking about Facebook to a friend of mine. He agreed that the utility isn't obvious.

Then came this week. I think I begin to see a bit of the light. It's a way for people who should be working better together can actually share, in a casual fashion, a casual, non-work moment. It's a way for people who are associated together to get to know each other better, and perhaps become better friends. I don't know why this is so revelatory this week. Perhaps because I've been thinking a lot about how to build up those relationships of trust I learned about waaaaay back at the MTC. Now if only I could remember how to HOFRS . . .

So I see the utility in Facebook now, or at least the beginnings of an inkling of a glimmer. That's good. I'll stick with it.

I still don't understand texting, though. And I don't want to understand.

No comments: