Tuesday, July 6, 2010

BYU-I, Byzantine

So today I began what BYU-Idaho is calling it's "online certification" for the schmoes like me who are going (maybe) to teach online classes starting in September. All I can say is this:

HELP!

If ever there were a labarynthine, byzaintine way to put a course together, well, BYU-Idaho has found it. And maybe that's being unfair, seeing as I've only been meddling in their online site for just a few hours today, but part of me thinks that, perhaps, it is a wee bit more complicated than it needs to be.

No matter. I will soldier on, if only because if I back out now my mother-in-law will be really upset, seeing as she was put out because nobody told her I was going (maybe) to be teaching in the fall in the first place.

Part of the serpentine ways this online site is taking stems, I think, from the fact that we as instructors don't get to meddle with the curriculum. So they've had to do things to build walls between us and the curriculum to prevent us from meddling. Maybe. I just know it's pretty dang complicated. I'll have to keep playing with it. And, hopefully, catch on enough so I don't wash out. And face the wrath of the mother-in-law.

No comments: