Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fossil Music: Harry Nilsson

This is one of those songs you recognize instantly, whether you like it or not:


Again, i have to wonder why the songs I heard in childhood are the ones that I recall with the most fondness, and why they seem to be embedded in my mind. Just hearing the opening strains of this one sets the entire song playing in my brain. Especially the part where he's singing like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Never knew it was Nilsson singing. I wasn't all that into knowing who was singing, just that they were singing.

He also covered that hit from Casablanca, "As Time Goes By." He does an excellent job.


Though Louis Armstrong is the one most associated with this song, I have to say that despite his ownership and despite Nilsson's good cover, this song, in my mind, will always belong to Dooley Wilson. Don't be deceived by the erroneous label on thsi next video. It may say Armstrong, but it's all Wilson. This I did not know: Wilson was a drummer, not a pianist, but nonetheless he pretended to lay the piano in 1942's "Casablanca."

No comments: