Friday, August 13, 2010

Considering How to Run: 10,000 Words

Somehow, I find it hard to believe I'm doing this.

Ten thousand words into a second novel on the same vein. And all the while, I'm not sure what I'm writing is any good. The Ray Bradbury Postulation -- write always because 95 percent of what you write is no good -- looms heavily. But at least I'm writing. And writing. And writing.

Hoping something will come of it. I feel like my characters: Determined to follow through with what they've started doing, but fearful that somewhere along the way I'll look for a way to get out. And I worry that I've already taken ways to get out and am writing just dreck. That's always possible.

And yet I remain faithful. Surely somewhere in the stuff I've written -- somewhere in this collection of 10,037 words -- there are a few things that are good. A few things upon which I can build and eventually make a good run of it.

The only way to figure that out is to keep writing. So off I go.

No comments: