Saturday, August 7, 2010

Re-Entering Limboland -- and Wife-Praising

I'm certified to teach at Brigham Young University-Idaho. I've gone through all the training courses. I've got an introductory podcast ready to go that includes Droopy the Dog. What else do I need?

Oh yeah. A class.

I got an e-mail earlier this week from the online ed folks saying basically, um, your online section of Foundations English 101 isn't filling. I must have a bad agent, or bad placement on the online sign-ups, or an already poor student review which, since I've never taught anything before, is kind of overreacting. Or the demand for the course simply hasn't met up with the supply.

They did ask if I want to teach the 201 course in Foundations English, and I said yes. But getting "permission" is taking a bit longer than I thought it would. So that leaves me in limbo, three weeks from when the semester begins, not knowing for sure or not if I'll be teaching anything. I will continue reading the textbook for the 101 course in case things improve in that direction, so I can at least say I'm doing some preparation beforehand. I should probably log into the shell courses again to get a better feel for what's going on in both classes, though. It's no fun having a teacher who's as unprepared with the material as the students.

Speaking of students, Michelle is now in her final week of her first two masters classes and, despite the frustration with her online course on online courses, things are going well. I think she'll get the As she deserves for the hard work she's put in, and then revel in the three-week break before her new semester starts up. I asked her today what she wanted to do to celebrate the cessation of her first round of classes and she said "Pay the tuition for next semester." She's such a practical person.

This is what I think of her:



She knocked herself out for these courses. I, of course, expected nothing less. She's always so willing to throw heart and soul into the things she does, from taking care of the kids to taking care of her classes to taking care of her Missing Linkesque husband. I love her for that.

No comments: