Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SEE!


I’m busy gearing up for another semester teaching at BYU-Idaho. Classes start in about a week and a half, so I’ve got to spend some time this week and next getting things ready to go.

Why the Cliffs of Insanity introduction, you may ask, considering this is my second semester teaching and I ought to know all the ropes by now?

Well, first of all, I don’t know all the ropes. And yesterday the mysterious disembodied voice I know as Rob from online learning called and asked if I’d be willing to take on a second section of the course, as they’ve had a sudden spike in enrollment and not enough teachers to take on one section at a time.

So yeah, Cliffs of Insanity time. I said yes. I don’t look at it as doubling the workload. Maybe adding two-thirds of the workload, not doubling. I do have double the students to track and grade, but I’m figuring both classes will just kind of blend together and I won’t feel that much more burdened. Well, burdens will come when I meet with them mid-semester, and grading some of the papers might get tedious, but I do have all that downtime on the bus that I can fill with this kind of thing. So I think it’ll be okay.

Additionally, doubling up the money I can earn from BYU-I this semester, leading into Christmas, certainly is a perk. Might well pay for Christmas this year. That would be a good thing, and that’s no lie.

No comments: