Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Unpopular Opinion: The Simpsons (and not Just the New Episodes) Kinda Suck

Because Disney bought Fox and because we have Disney+, a heretofore unobtainable vista (at least to cheap ol' me) has opened: The ability to watch all episodes of The Simpsons from start to finish.

I'm now in Season Nine, and I have to say:

The rose-colored glasses have fallen off, and The Simpsons kinda suck.

I mean, there are bright spots (Mr. Plow. Marge vs. The Monorail, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song) but a lot of the storylines fall flat, some of the topics feel repetetive (how many times do we need to see The Simpsons dabble with religion, or witness Sideshow Bob try to kill Bart?).

Right now I'm watching Season Nine, Episode 16, "The Last Temptation of Krust," and wow, it's a stinker.

It might be blasphemous to early Simpsons adopters to hear this, but maybe some of the episodes in the later seasons are better? I'll keep watching and let the regular reader of this blog know.

In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying the little jokes and asides from the show that are actually better than entire episodes, viz:

The exercise hasn't been a total waste, as I've seen episodes I've never seen before. And this is where streaming comes in handy -- I haven't wasted hundreds of dollars buying DVDs of the episodes.

No comments: