Sunday, September 27, 2026

Dear Elder Davidson No. 4

27 September 2027

Hello Isaac,

You’ll be happy to know the Red Herring is parked in the driveway, getting ready for the final phase of repairs. I’m supposed to take it in for a wheel alignment this coming Friday and then see about the tires. Once that’s done, it’ll go back to Kevin for the timing belt kit then, cross fingers, we should be good to go for awhile. We’ve spent close to a thousand dollars so far on repairs, but I still think it’s a bargain compared to shopping around for a different vehicle, particularly as we’re still paying Mom’s truck off. Good thing teaching at BYUI is back in swing so we can afford these repairs. But it does mean once the last round is complete, I can go back to getting buckets of sand and maybe finish leveling the back yard this fall. And I am looking forward to driving it to work in the morning. It’s funny to say, but I’ve missed it these past few weeks.

Yesterday we took a trip to Montpelier to see the last day of the temple open house. It took 2 ½ hours to drive there, and it felt like a long trip. But it was worth it. When we got there we waited in the old Tabernacle next door. The tabernacle was built in 1917 and has some Art Deco flairs, particularly on the lighting, that they echoed in the temple. All looking very streamlined.

As we were touring the temple, one of the volunteers there came up to me and commented on my “John Widtstoe beard.” I’m familiar with the name; he was an early apostle, scientist, and man-about-town as you’d assume if someone was commenting on a beardy lookalike. I Googled photos of him later and really couldn’t find a photo of him with a beard like mine, but perhaps this guy knows more than the Internet when it comes to old LDS apostles. Anway, he was pretty funny about it. As we were heading out he came up to me one last time and asked if the beard gave me any “extra authority” at home. I laughed and said, “Oh, you’re kidding,” and Mom echoed that: “Oh, not a stitch.” So even with my early 1900s apostle beard, I still don’t get any respect.

After the temple visit, we drove another 15 miles south to see the Paris Tabernacle. This one was built in 1888 and was used as a guinea pig for the foundation reinforcement they performed on the Salt Lake temple just recently, or so the tour guide says. I’ve always wondered why the early saints in Idaho didn’t rally to build a temple like they had in some of the far-flung Utah settlements. I suppose divine inspiration had some to do with the building of temples, even back then. And the Logan temple, finished before the tabernacle here, was not that far off. Sixty miles, per Google Maps, and only one valley over. So I’m sure the saints in the valley around Paris didn’t visit the temple much during the winter.

We had thoughts – at least I did – about going further south and visiting some of the sites from my family’s history in Laketown, Utah, but as it was we didn’t get home until after 8 pm and the dogs and made an unholy mess in the kitchen, even though we had Maaike come and let them out once while we were gone. We stopped for dinner on the way home, but waited until we got to Idaho Falls before we did so. As we passed Pocatello, Mom commented from way in the back “So we’re not stopping in Pocatello?” Liam and I responded that we were more familiar with Idaho Falls than Pocatello, so she called us cowards, which was right. Though I know there’s a great Chinese restaurant in Poky but have a hard time talking Mom into eating such food.

I’m sure you’re thrilled by all of this food- and poop-related news. I might be a little cranky with the dogs as they had me out of bed just after five this morning and we really whiny about getting breakfast straight away. That’s just entirely too early. They usually don’t get breakfast until after six, when I’m getting ready for work, the little twerps. What galls the most is now they’re napping peacefully in different areas of the basement and look at me like “Hey, why did you get us up so early” when I happen to make some kind of noise or movement that wakes them up.

Hey, imagine my surprise when I opened up Facebook yesterday and saw this on the Gilbert Arizona mission page. We’re watching you, Wazowski, always watching . . .

I mean, I guess y’all know what you look like so you don’t need to see this picture, but it was fun to see it in the wild. And you know, I know Elders are young these days, but they guy sitting in the middle on the couch looks like he’s about 14 years old. Tell him this 54-year-old who is regularly mistaken for a 78-year-old is jealous of his youthful looks.

Love, Dad

No comments: