Yanno, I don't know what to think when it comes to artificial intelligence.
I do know I'd rather not see my students use it to write every assignment they turn in. But part of me also thinks AI could have some good uses.
Where we run into trouble is where human neuroses and, well, that little green monster (Pugsley) comes into play: Greed.
So I love what YouTuber Patrick Boyle says in this video after he first explains how AI brought a bit too much ersatz human emotion into the mix and decided it needed to cheat before it was found to be "poisoned" and be shut down or whatever.
First, the video:
After this debacle, it seems the heads of three major US AI players have asked for government regulation. But Boyle points out a few things I thought were interesting:
"An agreement between the dominant firms in an industry to limit output and hold back competition already has a name: It's a cartel. And anti-trust law exists specifically to stop cartels, because restricting output happens to be the perfect way to protect the profits of the market leaders and pull the ladder up after them."
So sure. Regulation *could* be used as a curtailment. Or as a curtailment against any competition as these big companies figure out in a continued safe space how to be profitable outside of accounting tricks.
Just an interesting thought as AI companies seek "regulation" before AI does something worse that what's discussed in this video when, as Boyle says, "You don't need regulation to stop typing."
Also important:
The cynic in me has alarm bells going off.

No comments:
Post a Comment