So I finished reading Ben Carson's "Take the Risk," and I echo my previous comment that the book is strange.
He really does gloss over the value that assets and connections have in taking risks. Especially in the latter half of the book as he discusses his ideas of risk analysis (which I think is valuable, so the book isn't a total waste) I don't get the feeling that he considers the assets and connections he has in making his risk analysis a lot easier to answer than those of the unwashed masses in similar situations.
In part of the book he discusses the idea of taking one's self out of the middle of risk analysis to help some decisions be more rational. That's something he certainly needed to do more of as he wrote this book. Taking himself out and bringing in more real-life examples from people less advantaged as him might make his risk analysis look a lot different to him.
Anyway, this is a good book on the general concept of risk-taking and risk analysis, but it's got enough flaws I don't think I can really recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment