Saturday, July 11, 2009

Worms!

My wife just forwarded this link to me a little while ago, and it brought back some pleasant memories. I, too, remember hearing about the elusive Giant Palouse Worm while I was a student at the University of Idaho. I'm sure there are few regions in the world where people don't have some local legend about some supernatural being or visitation; our local manifestation is of a creature that's supposed to inhabit Bear Lake, which straddles the Utah-Idaho border, kind of a Nessie of the Great Basin.

I heard a few people talk about the GPE, but, of course, I never believed them. One of my friends was in natural resource conservation there at U of I, and he dismissed the worm's existence as hokum. Now, I've seen twelve-inch nightcrawlers, but that a three-foot-long worm exists in the prarie up there, I'm not so sure about.

No comments: