Tuesday, November 3, 2009

DRILL!

The good news is, the drill at work is over.

The bad news is, I suck.

But that's okay. I volunteered for this program to learn, and learning I shall do. But sometimes I feel like poor Homer:



So I fear in the future we'll have more frequent drills in order to hammer this stuff into our heads. And that's okay. If you learn a skill and then apply it only occasionally, that's asking for trouble. That is, in fact, asking for and inviting an error precursor into your life. Sure, it's nice not to have drills with brutal frequency, but it is also nice, once a drill comes, that you actually remember how to do things.

This comes down to the difference between book smarts and street smarts. All of us in the room have had the training by the book, but sometimes it's a whole different ballgame when you go to apply things in a real situation. That's why, for instance, they have you actually get behind a wheel when you're in drivers education. Doing otherwise might be less stressfull, but infinitely more foolish. So I should look forward to the drills so I can apply what I've learned. Though the drills are not fun, after each successive drill, they'll get easier because I'll become used to what is supposed to happen.

No comments: