Monday, November 9, 2009

Images and Quotes, 9 November 1989





"What kind of a system is it that can only exist by keeping the thorns in their own bailiwick? The wall was an actual symbol of defeat. Of inferiority."

Stefan Heym, writer, German Democratic Republic

"The use of force had discredited itself completely. It was no longer possible to stabilize the world by military methods."

Mikhail Gorbachev

"I knew that the communist system was finished. The only problem was what would be the best way to get rid of communism?"

Lech Walesa

"In short, we were speechless, because we were helpless."

Gunter Schabowski, East German Politburo

"She called me. I’m still in my nightgown. [Crowd laughs and cheers] It’s a most wonderful day."

Unidentified German woman, on the night the gates to West Berlin opened.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I had just arrived in Tokyo,Japan when the wall came down. I actually didn't hear anything about it till a few months later when my cousin who was serving in Berlin when the wall came down sent me a piece of it. I kind of missed the whole fall of the eastern bloc due to my missionary service.