Monday, September 5, 2011

A Delta on Mars


The funny thing is not that scientists keep finding water landforms on Mars, but that we keep acting surprised that they do.

Here, in the center of this picture from the European Space Agency's Mars Express, shows a typical water delta -- a spot where water suddenly reaches a relatively flat plain and simply disperses, rather than forming a single channel -- exiting a crater. There's more information on the find here.

Is it crazy of me to still want to go to Mars? Really. I'd love to go there, wander around a bit. I think that's part of the reason I've written "The Hermit of Iapetus," and want to work it from a longish short story into a novel. I know I will not set foot on Mars in my lifetime. It ain't in the technology nor the budget. I may only get to see it the way Ray Bradbury got to see it: By writing about it. And to do that, first I have to finish writing a story based on one of Saturn's moons. But that's okay. At least I'm out in space somewhere.

No comments: