Monday, September 26, 2011

Thus Ends the First Chapter

And with that last post, thus ends the first chapter of "Yershi the Mild."

I don't know where this is coming from. Partly, it's inspired, I think, by the non-Prydain writings of Lloyd Alexander, and a bit by the works of Avi. I'll continue working on it, but in the interest of preserving publication rights, it'll take place at the Targhee Writers Blog -- which you can still join if you'd like to read the rest of the story and help me improve on it.

I get the name Yershi, by the way, from Alec Baldwin. A few months ago, he announced a program by the New York Symphony Orchestra featuring direction by Yershi somebody-or-other, and I liked the name. It sounded like someone Peter Lorre would talk to, so all that evening I called our youngest son Yershi and spoke to him a la Ugarte.

In the book, however, he's modeled more after Gru from "Despicable Me" than Mr. Lorre. I don't know why.

No comments: