Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Noo Nee Noo Noo Noo Noo . . .

Though my children are growing up in a televisonless household, there's only one thing I regret them not seeing: Sesame Street. It seems cruel to send them through life without knowing the likes of this guy:

I don't really care if it's anachronistic to have an animated typewriter teaching me (or my children) the alphabet. A computer would accomplish the same thing, but not have the nifty typing noise or the bells or the ratchet of the paper going in and out. He'd also have to have a little cart following him with the printer on it, since there aren't computers that come with printers installed these days.

But back to the memories: Or this song (which, for a brief time when Elder Duckworth was AP, was the unofficial song of La Mission Francaise de Bordeaux).

Scary thing is that there's a generation of Americans that grew up on this stuff. In a decade or two, it's a fair bet we'll be in charge of the country. In the late 2010s to early 2020s, it's a fair bet the man or woman sitting in the Oval Office will, during a cabinet meeting or visit to the United Nations, spot an old typewriter and, in his or her head, immediately start humming, "noo nee noo noo noo, noo neee nooo neee noooooooo. . . " If that isn't scarier than four more years for Dubya, I don't know what is. (I'm not sure who does the Typewriter Guy's voice, but part of me thinks it's Bill Cosby. I'm likely wrong, but can't seem to find any proof to the contrary.)

Segue: Jeff Hale, the San Francisco animator who created Typewriter Guy for Sesame Street is also the same Jeff Hale who starred in Hardware Wars, viz:


No comments: