Monday, May 11, 2009

Rosemary!

We will continue to eat rainbows and poop butterflies at the Davidson household. My wife ordered more essential oils today for our continued dabbling into herbal remedies. The newest remedy that will be tried – on myself and our youngest son – is rosemary to cure warts. No longer content with seeking our gypsies or trying to home-paint or home-freeze these warts out of existence, we’ll now try rosemary and see if it works.

So, what is rosemary. It is, I've discovered, related to the mint family, and is an evergreen herb that has the following "active" ingredients: 1,8-cineole, acetic acid, camphor, carnosol, carvacrol, carvone, caryophyllene, chlorogenic acid, geraniol, hesperidin, limonene, luteolin, rosmarinic acid, salicylates. Most of which mean nothing to me, of course, as do most of the ingredients in the over-the-counter wart removal aids I've tried. Now the salicyclates I'm familiar with, as they're also the active ingredient in aspirin and the OTC wart removal aids I've tried. No surprises to find it there. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its peculiar pungency, and rosmarinic acid is one of those magicl things called antioxidants. As for the rest, I don't know much about them. But through some alchemical combination, our resident witch doctor (not Dr. Thayne, but someone else who got us walking down this garden path) swears by it.

Lemon update: Allergy season is beginning to swing here, and, thus far, the only effects I've noticed is a slight tingling in the nasal passages that quickly fades as the days go on. I take that as a good sign, because in the past those tingling sensations typically meant I was goingto have a fair-to-middling day, allergy-wise. I still suspect part of my reaction is mental, but I'm as willing to give the lemon/lemon oil/peppermint cure the benefit of the doubt as I am the OTC antihistamines.

The thought of consuming (or at least applying) rosemary does bring up one concern: Rosemary Woods, or, more specifically, the Rosemary Wood Face, a longstanding family joke featuring a rather fake smile. I'm hopeful using Rosemary won't induce Joker-like side effects.

No comments: