Friday, September 11, 2009

Google and Gumby

There are many things you should not do when you write a personal blog. First of all, not too personal, or else everyone in the world will know how much ear wax you have. (In my case, a lot, with the right ear producing much more than the left.)

But among the top things you shouldn't do on a personal blog is install Google Analytics. It's all so depressing.

Bounce rate: High. Maybe it'll get better. But I doubt it.

But the bigger question: Should I worry? Long ago when I started this blog, it was for self-expression. If others found this blog and occasionally found it entertaining, so much the better.

I didn't install Google Analytics, obviously, to find out how unpopular I am. I want a one-stop service that'll show me where the folks who visit this blog (and the Cokesbury Party Blog) are coming from and why they might be coming. Google Analytics seems to fit the bill, better than ClustrMaps and Site Meter. And I like the thought that if I see what people are interested in, I might write more in that vein. or not. Because this is my place, after all, and if I want to post a link to a Mystery Science Theater 3000 riff on a Gumby claymation short, so be it:

No comments: