Friday, September 11, 2009

I Have Parts Left Over

So. I've learned today that if you take a bicycle hub apart to replace the axle, it's a good idea to remember where all the parts go so you can put the thing back together again. I really should have bought a new rim, rather than just the axle.

Oh well.

I'll figure it out eventually. Probably by taking apart another axle assembly (on a non-functioning bicycle) so I can figure out where all the parts go. With my luck, however, the one I take apart to learn how to put the other together will be different than the one I've taken apart so taking it apart won't be helpful at all. And then the second one will fall apart and I'll have to figure out how to put it together as well.

And once again, the Internet is no help. Oh, there are plenty of people out there willing to show you how to put one together, but it's never quite the same one that you've got in pieces on the concrete outside. There are forums, of course, but they're populated with know-nothings like me and the snot of the Internet, that being the people who might know how to fix the problem you've got but would rather lord over your ignorance than actually help you out.

It is kinda fun to get my fingers greasy, though.

No comments: