Saturday, February 13, 2010

Going in in my Puberty and Coming out in my Adultery

As I was up on the roof today, shoveling snow, trying to find the source of the water stain on the wall and ceiling in our bedroom, I realized something: Adults do a lot of things they really, really don't want to do.

I really did not want to be up there, shoveling snow, trying to fall off the roof. But because of the water damage and the desire to stop the house from falling apart, I was up there, in my slick snow pants and good shoes, shoveling. I found the ice dam that was causing the problem, and then got down off the roof, making sure Michelle was there to hold the ladder and to make sure they spelled my name right in the newspaper in case I fell.

Then I had to re-shovel all that snow off the deck and sidewalks. Yuck.

So the kids came out. Liam, especially, whined about the work. I told him, Hey, you know, adults do a lot of things they really, really don't want to do, either. But we do it because it has to be done.

Dad, I understand a lot more now. The older I get, the smarter you get.

And that must make me a little old corporal.

No comments: