Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Guy Who Can Get Things Done

I think I know how Phil Connors felt in “Groundhog Day” when he realized his winter was never going to end. And how the bowling alley guy felt when he said “That pretty much sums it up for me” when Phil Connors asked how he’d feel if nothing he did ever mattered, and that every day seemed the same. So I need to seize the day, I suppose, learn to play the piano or walk around looking for people to help. Or learn to make love like sea otters. Scratch that. Forget I ever wrote it.

Speaking of Bill Murray, just learned today that Mitt Romney has a house on Lake Winnepesaukie in New Hampshire. I’m about ready to head up there and indulge in some Death Therapy. I hear it’s a guaranteed cure.

I take this all as evidence of past Bill Murray experiences intruding on present time. I wouldn’t rule out ESP or clairvoyant activity either. No. That’s wrong. Gotta look it up.

Ah, and thanks to the Internet, I have it here:

VENKMAN
Generally, you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance. What do you think, Egon?
SPENGLER
(checking the polygraph)
She's telling the truth -- or at least she thinks she is.
DANA
(defensive)
Why would anyone make up a thing like that?
VENKMAN
Some people like the attention. Some people are just crazy.
STANTZ
(muses)
You know, Peter, this could be a past life experience intruding on the present.
SPENGLER
Or even a race memory, stored in the collective unconscious. And I wouldn't rule out clairvoyance or telepathic contact either.

So what am I getting at here? Well, my days here at work are starting to blend together a bit more than they used to. We’re between projects at the moment so things are a bit slow. But it’s more than that. There’s some kind of weird circadian rhythm in me that causes me to have a lull this time of year. I won’t say intellectual lull lest I invite many snide and rude comments about how I can tell I’m in a lull. February and early March is just a terrible time for me. Winter seems like it will never go away, I feel cooped up at home and I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, so the only time I get any real sunshine is when I walk outside. I have been walking – try to do at least a half hour a day, and that’s good for the sanity. But by golly I wish the days didn’t blend together here so much.

No comments: