Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Protip

Reguar readers of this blog know the following about me:

1) I hate it when people misspell things.
2) I misspell things often.

These two facts, bubbling around in my brain, do not make for classic matter/antimatter explosions. Because of No. 1, I am working as hard as I can on No. 2 to check and verify and repair my spelling so my head doesn't explode when I read my own stuff.

But reading what's out there on the Internet still hurts.

So here's a protip, and a compromise. I will learn to spell the word antenna without looking it up in the dictionary. I understand if you spell something out ten or twenty times a day for several days, you don't forget it. So here goes:

antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna
antenna

(It's going to help if I forget phonics and pronounce it anTENna in my head. That'll help me with my spelling.)

Now it's your turn: Please, for the love of Mike, learn to spell the word lose. As in "I'm going to lose everything." I don't know how many times I see people write "I'm going to loose everything." That's fine if your're standing amid a couple dozen weasel cages and have prepared a Rube Golderg device to open all the cages at once, loosing the weasels. But if loosing the weasels is going to cause you to lose everything, please make sure you spell lose right.

No comments: