Thursday, February 19, 2009

Unreality

This economy, apparently, is shaking everybody's fillings loose. Especially those accustomed to getting an annual bonus. Witness here a New York Times article outlining the down-and-outs of people accustomed to large bonuses (I'm talking high five-figures to low six-figures here) who are now getting smaller bonuses this year. One fellow laments his expected $24,000 bonus this year, less than half of what he got last year. He says he uses the bonus for day-to-day living, not "frivolities." Considering my bonus for 2008 was a $25 Wal-Mart gift card ad a square of fudge made and packaged in China, I'm not so sure I feel all that badly for Mister Day-to-Day. True, he may live in an area where the cost of living is higher than where I live. That is his choice. But considering his lamentations over a reduced bonus that is about half my yearly salary, pardon me if I don't weep too much.

Have we become a society of entitlement? Apparently so.

No comments: