Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Bountiful Basket Diet

About a month ago, Michelle signed us up for the first of our Bountiful Baskets. For the uninitiated (and I'm sure there are only just a few in this neck of the woods) Bountiful Baskets is a Utah-based outfit that, for $25 a week, sends us outlandish amounts of fresh produce for us to eat. Yes, we could buy the produce at the grocery store -- and indeed we do, apples, grapes, carrots, cucumbers and a few other common bits being our staples.

What I'm liking about Bountiful Baskets is that we're being introduced, as a family to new fruits and vegetables. Until a month ago, for example, I had never eaten a mango (I know; I don't get out much). Friday, I cooked a stir-fry with bok choy, which was suddenly popular in the basket last week, and on Saturday I cooked a stew that was entirely of Bountiful Basket stuff except for the beef and the onion.

Another bonus: Rather than having the produce go bad, we're forced to eat it. That means fruits and vegetables are supplanting the ordinary snacks we'd eat. We're being forced to eat healthier because I'm too cheap to allow anything to be thrown out. Check that. The black bananas can go, as can the beets, rutabagas, turnips and any other unwholesomes. It's my wife who keeps us on the straight and narrow, eating the stuff that we get.

In fact, yesterday for lunch we basically had a variety of sliced apples. That was it. I felt so proud.

So I'm excited to see what'll come this next weekend and what new culinary adventure awaits.

No comments: