Saturday, November 27, 2010

An Odd Bit of Marketing

I'm not sure what to make of this:


Both videos used in this posting are used under the fair use doctrine.)

Apparently it's not a spoof. It's a real bit of ironmongery marketing put together by someone who thought they could connect with the American people by showing clips from "Animal House" in their thank-you kiss to the nation.

I don't get it. And it's not just because I've never seen, nor do I want to see, Animal House.

However, I did enjoy the ad's nice, subtle use of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother." (The Hollies did it best):


Fortunately for my cultural literacy, I do understand the other bits referenced in the ad, from the triumphant Harry S Truman holding up the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline to poor, poor Popeye sinking to the bottom of the drink. But the Animal House bits are lost on me. Who are they trying to appeal to by including those clips? Themselves -- because I can't think of anyone who makes a better parallel to John Belushi's boorish, unadmirable Bluto than a company that literally drove itself into a ditch.

No comments: