Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday, Part II; Or the Return of Varlene Murdock

So after the briefest of reposes, Michelle and I were at it again at Wal-Mart this morning. She was there for two portable DVD players to buy for the ward library. I was there as kind of a tag-along, though I was stationed by the 4 gig SD cards because they're cheap and we need a bunch. Wal-Mart, I have to admit, played it pretty smart. They let us inside rather than leaving us as a seething, trampling mass at the door. So she stood by the DVD players, I stood by the SD cards, and we got what we wanted.

We also saw Varlene Murdock. Of course she asked if we'd actually gone home or if we'd just hung out in Wal-Mart for five hours. I did tell her that we had in fact gone home and slept for a while.

Next we went to Kmart, which, after 45 minutes of shopping inside, I still swear is being run as a junior class economics project. Their value cards, which they're hawking to everyone in the store, don't seem to be keyed into their computer system which is no nevermind either since their sale prices aren't in either. As Michelle checked receipts as we sat at McDonalds across the parking lot, she noticed it was rife with errors. So she returned and won her battles. And again I saw Varlene Murdock and accused her of following us. She laughed at that.

So next we went to Porters, our local pricey little craft, game and knick-knack store. I was three-quarters of the way into getting Michelle another game for Christmas when she said, offhand, that we'd better play the games we have at home more before we buy any more games. So I got her some straight pins and quilting tacks instead. And as we were standing at the games debating some other purchases, Varlene Murdock came at us out of the aisles, shook her head and said, "You know, you should just tell me where you're going next so I can just get in your car!"

No comments: