Friday, April 22, 2011

Thanks, Rowlf



The older I get, the more I realize that just about everything I know about culture I learned from The Muppet Show. Which is not as farfetched as you might think, considering who the Muppets had as guests -- folks ranging from the Mummenschanz to Victor Borge to Peter Sellers and John Denver. A really wide variety, considering.

Now we have this simple song, sung by Rowlf. It's one of our favorites from the show.

Written by Red Kelly, apparently, who was somehow associated with Stan Kenton's jazz orchestra, highly popular in the 1950s and 60s. Here's one of his bits:


Here's a little bit more about Red Kelly. Don't trust the link in the Wikipedia article above, it goes to a NHL player by the same name. Nothing to do with jazz, unless that Red Kelly listened to it.

And here's a curiosity: David Bowie singing "You and I and George." Who knew that nonsense song got around that much?

No comments: