Sunday, April 5, 2009

Annoying Others More Efficiently Since, oh, 1995


First of all: If you're into odd music like I am, you can't do any better than to check out New Jersey radio station WFMU's "Beware of the Blog" (link on the left). In the last few weeks, they've helped me find siren songs from Jerry Colonna, Bob Hope's old radio days sidekick, Leona Anderson's painful "Music to Suffer By" and, my latest interest, an odd musical style called "eefing," which apparently had only one star, Jimmy Riddle, who died a tragic death by drowning in the Cumberland River. Eefing may indeed top the yodeling MP3s I got from WMFU as the music most likely to annoy my wife. (If you visit, be aware sometimes the boys' language isn't up to much. They're not dropping f-bombs all over the place, just an occasional tactical strike. So you're warned.)

I blame my mother. She's the one who introduced Spike Jones, Fibber McGee and Molly and a few other old-time radio shows. They quickly pushed me down the slippery slope of oddball and odd music and radio until I was blissfully streaming down that creek without a care that I don't have a paddle to get back out.

And that's one of the great things I appreciate about the Internt. It has increase my ability to annoy my wife a hundredfold. Not that I go out of my way to annoy her, but with the ease it brings things like eefing and Leona Anderson into my life, it's like having a new flavor of push-button annoyance at my fingertips whenever I want/need one. It's great.

No comments: