Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Flu, Swine

Part of me suspects that there is an element in this country that wants a massive Swine Flu pandemic, just so there is something exciting to talk about besides the economic crisis.

Personally -- and even though I'm not feeling the best tonight -- I'm not worried about the Swine Flu. This doesn't come from a Pollyanna attitude, nor am I sticking my head in the sand about the whole mess. It's just a question of numbers. The way some on the Internet and in the media are talking, you'd think there were thousands dropping like flies from this latest epidemic. While there have been deaths, they're not in huge numbers. I do not want to belittle the suffering of those who have lost loved ones to the disease, but to spread fear and misinformation because of these deaths is just as bad a disservice as pooh-poohing the deaths as statistics.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. And I'm not planning any mea culpa, I'm deathly ill posts in the morning.

No comments: