Saturday, April 4, 2009

Apostles and Gumby Hats


NOT Neil L. Andersen

Still unsure why they don't just broadcast the priesthood session for all consumers. I always go straight home and tell Michelle what they talked about anyway and I know I'm not the only one to do exactly the same thing. Oh well. It is nice to go partake of the brotherhood of man the way we should. And since I'm dressed up in me fancies, I'm more likely to stay awake.

Still going over M. Russell Ballard's and Quentin L. Cook's talks from earlier today. And still can't quite get over the fact that my former mission president, Neil L. Andersen, is now a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Never doubted I'd see him climb in church hierarchy, though. He's a rather serious, sober, and thoughtful man who really knew why we missionaries were supposed to be serving our missions. Never passed up an opportunity to teach, and never was shy to call us to repentance when we misbehaved. The oddest thing, though, is to think that I gave him a Gumby hat (a la Monty Python), to simulate the mantle of mission president, which he was giving up soon after he visited us in Tours. Even odder to think that he took it from me, grinned, and put it on. Oddest to think that I have pictures of him in said hat. I can look at those photos now and think, "That's a future member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles wearing one of my knotted handkerchiefs on his head."

What do I recall of him? I remember sending him some rather silly letters, which we were asked to do on a weekly basis. He always said he appreciated the letters and the humor therein. I regret a bit now (even before his calling) that I didn't take more advantage of this correspondence to ask him some gospel questions. Perhaps missions are wasted on the young. Certainly in light of Elder Ballard's talk on the young listening to the old in order to take advantage of their wisdom and experience. The older I get, the more I realize I need the wisdom and experience of others, because I know so little. I'm glad we've got 'old guys' in charge.

Wow. We've just been mobilized as a church to help members in need find jobs and other opportunities during this economic crisis. "Go and bring in those companies on the plains," said Brigham Young as he rallied members in Salt Lake City to go to the rescue of the Willie and Martin handcart companies.

1 comment:

carl g said...

Very cool. This post probably prompted my meditation today on the wonders of French patisserie.