Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hijacking Christianity

Ya know, there are times those who profess to be Christian need to shut up and actually listen to how they sound.

Fox News blovitaor Sean Hannity had this to say about Christianity and how he believes his version of it allows for torture:

"Because my attitude is that if we capture an enemy combatant in the battlefield -- or we can use Osama bin Laden -- who may have information about a pending attack. You know what, I don't have any problem taking his head sticking it underwater and scaring the living daylights out of him and making him think we're drowning him," declared Hannity, "and I'm a Christian."

He was saying this to Meghan McCain, daughter of former presidential contender John McCain, who suffered through torture as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. I thank heaven she had something to say about Hannity's view:

McCain disagreed. "I think it's what separates us from the terrorists. My father could never lift me up as a child because he can't move his arm. He can't ride a bike because he can't bend his knee because he was tortured. I think he knows better," she said.

I'm tired of Hannity and his ilk hijacking the Christian religion to support their twisted political (and religious) views. When they do so, they're little better than those who have hijacked the Muslim religion and believe that killing westerners is the true path to paradise. As a Christian myself, I'd like to stand up and say that my beliefs do not condone torture, and anyone who says Christianity does has a fundamental misunderstanding of Christ's teachings. When Christ tells us to love our enemies, be kind to those who despitefully use us and abuse us and to give a man our cloak as well when he wins our coat in a legal argument, there's no wiggle room in there to allow for a little bit of friendly waterboarding between friends.

Hannity, fix your Christian attitudes, or stop calling yourself a Christian.

And for the rest of us: Don't believe that Hannity's view reflects real Christian values. They most certainly do not.

No comments: