Friday, March 6, 2009

Your Stunned Silence is Very Reassuring

Frighteningly, I appear to be ahead of the curve on a lot of the advice given to shell-shocked career-holders during our Brave New Economy. Today, CNN.com and its assorted experts agree that, for some people, a layoff or a job loss might mean making a career change. Did that back in 2005, when I left the circus that is newspaper journalism for the milder, albeit clownish, world of, well, I want to call it civil service, but since I'm not a direct employee of the government, I guess you have to call it the pseudo-military-industrial complex. I'm a technical writer at a dump, if that helps the explanation any.

Additionally, President Obama is telling people this is a good time to go back to school to re-tool for a new economy based on technology. This July, I'll finish with a masters degree in technical writing which, for the last year, has placed a strong emphasis on integrating what I know now with the extremely circusy world of internet publishing.

So I'm ahead of the curve, right? Right?

Your stunned silence is very reassuring.

No comments: