Tuesday, March 1, 2011

All That Remains

When I’m three years gone from RWMC, I wonder what’ll be left of me here?

Karen Finnegan, one of the technical writers who was here when I got the job back in 2006, has been gone for a while, but there are still a few bits of her left. An old Dilbert comic about space heaters (she was always cold). Some of her handwriting is still left on a dry erase board on the wall opposite my cubicle. And this: her favorite typographical error.


I inherited a lot her “her” documents. What seemed like big challenges then are old hat now. Maybe that’s a sign I’ve grown into this job.

I know for the first three or four months, I’d sit in document review meetings (in a non-contributing capacity) and have things just shoot right over my head. It was sink or swim, and thankfully, I learned to swim quickly. I believe (I hope) I’m making contributions now.

But what’ll be left if I move on to a new job, get laid off, of what have you? Maybe I can sneak some of the comics I have on my cubicle wall out into some enshrined public area, like the Karen Finnegan Dry Erase Board Memorial. I’ll have to try that.

No comments: