Monday, March 7, 2011

Workshop is Done. And Will Be Better Next Time

If the Uncharted retreat held this past weekend taught me anything, it’s that perhaps, maybe, I do know a few things about writing.

But you certainly can’t tell that from the workshop I put together for the weekend, in which I babbled on a lot about stuff that wasn’t, for the most part, practical in helping beginning to intermediate writers with the craft. So it’s a good thing I didn’t deliver that workshop.

Oh, I delivered about 40 to 50 percent of it, but it was funny. As I launched into it, I realized – quickly – what my audience needed was not what I had prepared. So I launched through the exercises and improvised their utility on the spot – hardly the best thing to do, but it seemed to work all right given the circumstances. I hope I gave them some good advice. We’ll see what happens in the follow-through, once their stories start coming in.

See below the notes I took on my presentation after the fact. I think I can make the next one a hundred percent better. And feel better about charging for it in the future, with the hope our Explorers will want to come and listen and learn and maybe leave with a few ideas on how to "write real good."

Workshop Rework                                                                                                   

No comments: