Friday, March 18, 2011

It's a Christy Minstrel Night



All video clips used in this post are used under the fair use doctrine for commentary purposes.

Friday nights, Michelle sits down to scrapbook and listens faithfully to a handful of shows from the BBC. Then after the kids go to bed, I jump onto YouTube and play some of the stuff I like -- what what does it say about our musical tastes when she can go to the BBC and I have to go to YouTube. Tonight is no exception.

I got introduced to The Christy Minstrels in France of all places, while I was serving a mission for the LDS Church. I grew to love their renditions of American folk songs -- the genre I think of automatically when I hear people lament that the United States has no original indigenous musical sound.

The song above is one of my favorites of theirs, and stems from the Civil War.


This one, well, I can live or die without it, but whenever I hear it, I always think of this guy:



I'll confess I enjoy the Droopy episodes with the Whistling Wolf more than I enjoy the Droopy episodes with Droopy in them.

But back to the Christy Minstrels:



That's the one that I imagine using if I were ever to write a movie about life at Ricks College.

No comments: