Monday, March 21, 2011

Students!? AAACK! Part II

With less than a month to the beginning of the Spring semester at BYU-Idaho, I have a total of two students signed up for my Foundations English class.

That may not sound like a lot (and it isn’t) but it’s way more than I had at the comparable time for Winter semester last year, so there’s a good chance I’ll have students to teach come April 19.

That’ll be good. I’ve been including the gig on my resume, but with the caveat that I haven’t had students yet due to slow demand. If I can get some teaching under my belt, I’ll be a happier man. Challenged a bit. Taken out of my comfort zone and put into a position where I have to, you know, work. And think.

Not that I don’t work and think at the full-time job. It’s just working and thinking in different ways on different things.

So I’ll be watching the class roll over the next few weeks, hoping that it grows a bit more. I think the cutoff for the number of students is nine, with the limit of students in each section at 25. So hopefully I fall somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

I’m coming into this semester better prepared. I’ve read the text, made some notes on it, and have actually studied the syllabus a bit. My goal for this weekend will be to get all of my preliminary class stuff done in box.net and to make sure everything’s set up and that I can still log into BrainHoney and such.

No comments: