Saturday, May 15, 2010

Even More Fossilized Fud Music


Today's Fossilized Fud Music Selection features first, the New Christie Minstrels singing "Today." My sister Marina used to play her guitar and sing this song when I was a very small boy. Now, every time I hear this song, I am transported back to childhood, sitting on the floor in her room, listening to her sing and watching her fingers dance over the strings of the guitar. I'm sure I never told her at the time, but I loved to listen to her sing and play. Good times.

This one, she didn't sing, at least to my reocllection, which is probably a good thing, because it kind of freaks my kids out. "Why is she so mean," They ask. I have to say, "Well, it's just a silly song." They don't quite understand. I'm not sure I do either. But it's such a catchy tune . . .

Then there's this guy. Hillbilly music. Not the kind of condescending city-folk music that Myrna Minx might descend out of Manhattan to play at bars and such in Mississippi, but real hillbilly music. Not that she'd sing that kind anyway -- too white, of course.

No comments: